Dr. Dre’s wife Nicole Young has filed for divorce from the music icon after 24 years of marriage. And according to one report, she stands to get more than half of the couple’s assets.
MTO News has learned that according too one prominent lawyer, she’s likely entitled to 60%, leaving Dr Dre with just 40% of the fortune he earned.
How is it possible for a wife to get the majority of the money. A CNN legal commentator explained that since Dr Dre had “future earning” potential, a court will likely award him with less than 50% of the couple’s combined assets.
The lawyer explained, “Dr Dre has the capability of making tens of millions of dollars a year, Nicole doesn’t. So for the court to make them ‘equal,’ Nicole has to get a larger share of the assets.”
Young, 50, filed for divorce in Los Angeles on Monday, citing irreconcilable differences. The pair share two children together — son Truice, 23, and daughter Truly, 19.
Young is an attorney based in Newhall. According to multiple reports, she is seeking spousal support from Dr. Dre — but TMZ says that the couple has no prenuptial agreement. If she walks away with 60% of his fortune, which is reported as $800 million – that would be $480 million. Dr Dre would be left with $320 million.
Dre faced some backlash in 2015 after he was accused of being violent to former artist, Dee Barnes.
“I was young, f*cking stupid,” he told Rolling Stoneback in 2015. “I would say all the allegations aren’t true — some of them are. Those are some of the things that I would like to take back. It was really f*cked up. But I paid for those mistakes, and there’s no way in hell that I will ever make another mistake like that again.”